Sunday, November 23, 2008

Vampire Love?


I love, love to read. I remember as a young child getting in trouble because I was reading instead of cleaning my room. Geez, guess mom didn't want to foster the love of reading, but cleaning. Blech. Of course, I have read Twilight and yes, I do plan on seeing the movie. I may wait until the mayhem settles down.....if that ever happens. Throughout this semester we have been talking about what popular culture is. I think Twilight is a perfect example of popular culture. A few years back, this book was virtually unknown. I remember my friend reading it and telling me about it. My thoughts were, "A book about vampires....no thank you!" But, then I read it and couldn't put it down. Then the Twilight explosion happened. I went to the gym the girl running next to me was reading Twilight. I was waiting at the bus stop someone was reading Twilight. It was everywhere. There was no escaping the Twilight madness. And, now it has started all over again with the movie. I happened upon one of those entertainment shows and it showed the lead male character, Robert Pattinson, coming out of a building and girls going absolutely wild. Seriously?? Over a dude that doesn't own a comb and looks like he hasn't sleep it days? And,he looks a little creepy to me. (Please don't send hate mail......it's just an opinion and I am sure that he is a nice fella). It's just interesting to me how a book can cause a frenzy like the Beatles did. I guess that's what one Greek God looking vampire can do to the masses.

1 comment:

Miss M said...

One - thank you for finally getting a blog. I have been waiting and waiting and waiting . . . you get the idea.

Two - I totally agree with you on the Robert Pattinson thing. When he's cleaned up and speaking clearly, he's quite nice. But I've not really seen him like that. And all these girls are going crazy for him? Hmmm. Let's go see the movie so we can discuss this further.