Friday, May 8, 2009

I never thought that Factory 4 U in West Valley would be a place where I would feel a bond to several people, but I did. Wierd eh? I was there to make some shirts for Race for the Cure. There had to be, at least, 6 other people waiting, as well. I looked around at the shirts being made and noticed that they were all regarding breast cancer. One group had bright pink shirts with two lemons (where breast would be) and it said," Squeeze a lemon, Save a life!" A man standing in front of me wearing a white tank top and a bandana around his head was making a shirt for his mom, that had passed away. Several Hispanic girls lined up behind me and they were making shirts for their mom, too. They are running tomorrow. I chatted with them, while I waited for the others to get their shirts made and then while I waited for mine. I felt like cancer doesn't care what your skin color is, how much money you make, or what religion you are. It just attacks. But, I felt an odd kinship with this line of people. People that I may never have met before and may never see again, but we have all been affected by something so mean and hurtful. And, while I silently waited to get my shirt made, I pondered on the beauty of this moment. There were no angry words, no judgements of lifestyles...just a silent appreciation for a battle fought by so many loved ones. And, it all happened at Factory 4 U!

No comments: