Saturday, January 28, 2012

Setting: Outside the men's bathroom at the Century 16 in Fort Union.

Peeps involved: Me, The 20 year old with Autism that I work with, and an old man.

Before the movie ends K tell s me that he needs to use the bathroom. I ask him if he can wait until it's over. He can. He is pretty high functioning that using the bathroom is really no problemo. The problem, however, is he may end up singing loudly, making odd noises, and standing in one spot for a while. I am standing outside the bathroom waiting for him to finish. I occasionally call out his name and tell him to hurry. I then hear an man saying, "Are you ok in there?" I know that he is talking to K. I feel somewhat helpless. The old man comes out of the bathroom.


Man: He sure is making a lot of noise in there.

Me: That is who I am waiting for.

Man: What is wrong with him?

Me: He has Autism. (Maybe I shouldn't have shared that, but I sometimes feel like it helps)

Man: (this is the best part of the conversation) Here try some of these, they are the best you will ever taste. (He has just pulled a ziploc baggie out of his pocket.) Take a handful.

Me: What are these?

Man: Chocolate covered almonds.

Me: They are really good.

This cute old man waits around with me, goes back into the bathroom to check on K, comes back out and says, "He is just drying his hands."

K finally comes out and we leave. I thank this cute old man profusely for helping me out.

I am so glad that there are really nice people in the world, who are helpful, non-judgemental to things that they aren't used to, and have snacks to share. Plus, it doesn't hurt that is man was probably 80 and seriously charm bracelet worthy.

1 comment:

Kellie & Cody said...

I love this story!! I love that you are this amazing with the people you work with! And I love that people like you, K and the old guy still exist!