Monday, September 7, 2009

12 years....



This is a bit personal. I still remember the day that I found out my dad had died. I was serving my mission and had just transferred to a new area. My companion and I had gotten up a bit earlier to go running/walking. We were back by about 6:30. She jumped into the shower and I began my personal scripture study. Then the phone rang. It was 6:30 am, so a bit early for a phone call,but I thought nothing of it. I picked it up and did my usual spiel, "Kirche Jesu Christi, Sister Keeney spricht!" It was my Mission President on the other end. "Sister Keeney," he said. "Um, how are you?" I replied that I was fine. He then went on to say, "Your dad just passed away." I didn't want to hear that right, but it was. My dad was no longer on this earth. That was not possible. I began to cry, he expressed his love for me and told me that my family would be calling to talk with me and then I hung up the phone. I sat in the silence of the darkness and let the tears freely flow. I was in awe and I was hurting. So much to have to deal with and I wasn't ready. The phone then rang and I picked it up to hear the sweet voice of my mom, "Megan?" Upon hearing her voice, I began to cry again. I talked with my family for about two hours and they relived the last few days of my dad's life. I cried for a long time. There was so much that I had yet to say to him and so much that would now go to the grave. It would be a while before I would get the chance to see him again. Oh, how I missed him. I still do. Things weren't that great between us so maybe that is why his death was so hard,but I can't wait to see him again. I know that he will be a far greater person than he was when he left this life. I came across this beautiful poem written by President Hinckley.

What is this thing that men call death
This quiet passing in the night?
'Tis not the end, but genesis
Of better worlds and greater light.

O God, touch Thou my aching heart
And calm my troubled, haunting fears
Let hope and faith, transcendent pure
Give strength and peace beyond my tears.

There is no death, but only change
With recompense for victory won;
The gift of Him who loved all men,
The Son of God, the Holy One.


I do find such great hope in the Savior. I know because of Him I get to see my dad again. That is the most beautiful news of all. I rejoice in that reunion. Until then. xoxox

No comments: