Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I was reading through people's statuses on Facebook. I think I just need to give that whole thing up, but one person put that Boyd K. Packer was an embarassment. To be honest, it made me really sad. I dearly love our prophet and I love our apostles, too. I know that what they say isn't going to be popular with the world and it may not even be popular with many members of the LDS church, but I have faith that they do know what is best for me. I don't follow their counsel blindly. I pray about it and receive confirmation for myself.

I don't criticize leaders of other faiths, so it makes me really sad when people choose to criticize my church leaders. I guess I just don't get it.

2 comments:

mirele said...

Megan: Boyd K. Packer has super awesome timing--as in the worst way possible. There had been a lot of public discussion about GLBT kids committing suicide in the week running up to General Conference. And then Packer had to go and run his mouth off.

When a man such as Packer speaks, when he denigrates our democratic process ("you can't vote on this"), when he says GLBT people can change when there's no evidence that such change is real, when the words he says will be used as a club agaist GLBT people in and out of the Mormon church, you can be for d*mn sure that people are going to react negatively and viscerally.

You can believe what you want, and you can love Elder Packer as the leader you believe him to be. But I'm telling you as an ex-Mormon who resigned over Prop 8, that outside the cushy Mormon bubble, this is becoming a real disaster. Nobody, nobody is going to trust the Mormon church in the future when it comes to any overtures made to GLBT persons. Nobody. Because even I, a straight female, can see very clearly that it's all a charade and that at least one very old, very powerful man in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will do whatever it takes to destroy GLBT people.

That, Megan, is pretty disgusting, and yes, people outside the church can, should and will discuss it.

Unknown said...

An apostle of the Lord never "runs his mouth off". He issues warnings,and counsel, and very literally speaks the will of God, and all, both in and out of the church, would do well to heed their words. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree with what they say, but it is not the calling of an Apostle to conform to the masses, or the popular way of thinking.

While you call Elder Packer's timing "super awesome...in the worst way possible", I would say that it was right on cue. I stand by the counsel of the Church and make no apologies for how correct doctrine comes as an "inconvenience" to a group of people.