Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day!

If I were really computer savy, the font will be all sorts of fancy! But, I am not....
I am attempting to make my first corned beef and cabbage. The corned beef smell is starting to fill the air (and my nostrils) and I am hoping on a prayer that it turns out Y-to the UMMY! I will let you know! I have always, always loved St. Patrick's Day. Growing up, we never did anything really special( I did dress head to toe green and gave my teachers chocolates shaped like potatoes),but I remember feeling like this day belonged to the Keeney's. I was (and still am) proud of my Irish heritage. I have never met my Grandma and Grandpa Keeney, but I can pretty much guess that they were awesome people. It thrills me beyond to know that someday I get to meet them and learn more about what makes me....ME! I LOVE that my mom gave my siblings and I all Irish names. When I was younger, I hated that I was the only Megan in school. I didn't want to be unique. I wanted to be a Jennifer or a Michelle(not that those names aren't unique...no hate mail, please), but now I love it! During Christmas, I went to New York and visited Ellis Island. I was so excited to find the Keeney name listed on the walls of the immigrants that passed through Ellis Island. I felt some sort of connection to them, even though I have never heard any stories of them and don't even know their names, but someday I will. I hope, someday, to visit the Emerald Isle and bask in the beauty of those green hills I have seen pictured. Visiting Ireland has been something that I have always wanted to do. Erin Go Braugh!

p.s I have to go finish cooking the corned beef and cabbage,but will try to post about the treasure hunt we had at school today! My students made today magical....magically delicious?!

1 comment:

Gage said...

corned beef and cabbage??? was it good