Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Brief Rant....

During the summer, I do quite a bit of respite for some of my students with Autism. I like to take them to different venues. It's good for them to be out in the public. And, I think it's good for the rest of the world to be aware of these children and how to interact with them etc. Here's my rant: If you see me out and about with one of my students and it looks like we are having a struggle, like my hair, shirt or any body part is getting pulled, pinched, bit or scratched and my face is not looking happy. ASK IF YOU CAN HELP ME!!!! or STOP STARING!! The child I am with is not a spoiled brat and they just aren't getting their way. Chances are they just don't know how to communicate properly, so they are acting out the only way they can by either aggressing or throwing a temper tantrum. We are not a side show providing afternoon entertainment. I am trying to help this child and sometimes find myself in a spot where if someone could just carry my purse, I would be ever so grateful! I was out yesterday with a student and he became very upset that we had to leave the fun rides at Liberty Park. Understood. He tried to attack me by pulling my hair, scratching my face, biting my hand and pulling my shirt. Did anyone offer to help? NOPE. Did people stare? You betcha! It took a good half an hour to get to my car and by the time we got there I was sweaty and done! A kind smile or an offer of help would have been very very nice. I know it's not easy to ask if someone needs help, but oh it's so worth it! A kind lady helped me out last year and I am still grateful that she offered. Ok, my rant is over! Have a nice day.

3 comments:

Felicia said...

If I ever see you in public struggling I PROMISE I will always help! But I might stare for a minute cause I'm kind of rusty at seeing all those behaviors. Anyway, I love reading your fun blogs. Hope things are going good for you!

Gage said...

I might just point at you and laugh. Just kidding. I once said to my girlfriend who has a kid with autism that I hated that Kyler "looked" different because then people treated him different. Then she said that sometimes she wished her son looked different so people understood why he was acting the way he was acting. That made sense. Hang in there!

snickers said...

Ok, but only if you laugh and point for a minute and then help me out!
Megan