Sunday, August 16, 2009

God is Love!


(This photo was taken in New York. We walked passed it almost everyday. Thanks to Miss M)

I have been thinking a lot about this lately and it has become more evident to me that God really is love. Last week, I taught my Gospel Doctrine Class and it was all about adversity. I referenced Elder Henry B. Eyring's talk on Adversity from this past General Conference. It is an amazing talk, but in it he talks about how God does not give us trials because He hates us or is angry with us, but He gives them to us because He loves us. This got me to thinking. What do trials do? They can either make us really angry at God or they can humble us and help us to turn to Him...that's what He wants. He wants us to come to Him because He can help. Also, by giving us trials it helps us to become more like Him and more worthy to be in His presence. All God desires is for us to come home. His whole purpose is "To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" (Moses 1:39) Then if this is true, all that He gives us is to help us achieve this goal. It's hard to sometimes see beyond the crap that life gives us to recognize that God love us and will help us. I have just realized this lately for myself (sometimes I am a little slow!), but I have had so many opportunities to learn from others and realize that God loves His children. I listened to a friend of my sisters talk about her same sex attraction and how much the Atonement helps her with that trial. Her talk was not only amazing, but it helped me realize how much we need Christ and how much He wants us to need Him. We can't go through this life without Him. We may try, but it's so hard to do alone. Last week was an especially amazing Sunday for me. It was one of those Sundays that made me realize that no matter what may happen in my life, God is aware of me. I forget that A LOT!! But, I just know that He is. It's so wonderful to know that as we struggle with different aspects of life, that God is there and will always be there. Anyway, that's my sermon for today. It's just something that I have been thinking about and have seen the love of God in my life so much lately and for that, I am truly grateful!

No comments: